VMs with Managed Disks is the new normal in Azure IaaS. Imagine the scenario where you have to move your Azure VM with managed disks to a different resource group within the same subscription. Can we do this on the fly? The answer is no.
Here is a list of all the things you can’t do with Managed Disks in IaaS VMs. Following resources cannot be moved when you have managed disks in your VMs.
- Managed disks
- Virtual machines with the managed disks
- Images created from managed disks
- Snapshots created from managed disks
- Availability sets with virtual machines with managed disks
How can we overcome this?
The solution is obviuously pretty simple.
- Stop (deallocate) the VM with managed disks
- Create snapshots for the attached managed disks in the target resource group
- Create new managed disks in the target resource group using above snapshots
- Deploy a new VM using the new managed disks in the target resource group