I’ve been playing with computers since first grade. I started with MS-DOS and used all Windows Operating systems to-date and today marks “a day of Celebration” for all those geeks like me around the world. The newest operating system from Microsoft, Windows 10 is now generally available starting from yesterday.
Guess what! If you have a legitimate copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 OS (any edition) in any of your devices, you are eligible for a free upgrade to the same edition of Windows 10 till 29th July 2016. Let’s see some deployment options for Windows 10 as more information will arrive as the OS hits retail stores.
For those who have access to a MSDN subscription can now download all editions of Windows 10 as an ISO and install from scratch with an activation key. News is the OS will hit the Volume Licensing Portal on 1st of August.
No MSDN? Use the ISO Media Download tool
You can use the all new ISO Media creation tool to download the ISO version and installation bits of Windows 10. This tool lets you to download Windows 10 bits and create a bookable USB or an ISO file to use in another computer.
Not all editions are eligible for this deployment method. You’ll have to use Volume Licensing Portal or MSDN downloads if you need to get an Enterprise edition ISO.
Force Update for users reserved their upgrade
Some of you may have already reserved your upgrade to Windows 10 using the upgrade app released last month. But tired of endless waiting although it says “notify you when ready”. This is because Windows 10 release is planned to roll out via couple of waves starting from July 29th. Don’t worry there is a work around.
- Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download > Select all the files and press SHIFT + DELETE. Now your Windows Update cache is clear.
- Open command prompt as admin and type wuauclt.exe /updatenow to force Check updates in your system.
- Now if you check Windows Updates it should start checking for updates, again type wuauclt.exe /detectnow to get your free upgrade detected.
- For users who get’s their updates through WSUS (only if you can check updates from Internet as well) can use wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow to expire the WSUS cookie, initiate detection, and have WSUS update computer group membership. This cookie contains information about your WSUS environment which you need to temporary reset.
- Sit back and relax until updates are downloaded and your PC is upgraded. Do keep in mind the golden rule of upgrade. BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU WANT FIRST.
I had to activate Windows 10 with an activation key as I’ve upgraded from Windows 8.1 x64 Professional to Windows 10 x64 Enterprise. If you are upgrading to the same edition (i.e 7 Pro> 10 Pro) you don’t have to worry about entering an activation key EVER. YES IT TOTALLY FREE.